Follow my adventures as I travel across the country visiting golf courses in 9 different states over the next 12 weeks!! This adventure with the American Junior Golf Association (AJGA) will be fast-paced, exciting, rewarding, and full of interesting stories everyday!

Monday, June 4, 2012

Here We Go!!

Tournament Day #1 is in the books and Round #1 is ready to go!

Today was a super busy and long (15 hours worth) day. But, it was great to be on the course and interacting with the parents, volunteers, spectators, and of course the juniors!

We started off the day by heading out of the hotel at 5:40 am. We headed straight to Steelwood and completed our morning assignments to prepare for the practice round, which was an 8 am shotgun. I started off the morning by preparing the coolers and then working with a couple of my teammates to deliver them to the various locations around the course. As we were finishing this project up, I jumped back to the pro shop to work volunteer check-in and help organize the send off for the players/volunteers. Once we got all of the juniors on the course, I was one of 4 POP (Pace of Play) Cops out on the course. Our job was to make sure that the players were moving at a reasonable speed and also talk to each of the groups about some important points that the AJGA is stressing this summer and at this tournament.

Once we had spoken with all of the groups, I spent the next 3 hours or so re-filling coolers with water and ice, and then adding Powerade to certain coolers once the Practice Round was completed. We had to continue filling all of the coolers as our Junior-Am shotgun started just 45 minutes after the juniors completed their practice round. This was a very crazy time of the day, but I am proud to say that we got everything done and I think things went off without a hitch!

Once the Junior-Am participants were out on the course, it was time for us to host Player Registration, the Player Meeting, and the Parent Meeting. These events are where the Juniors receive their tournament gifts and learn more about the different initiatives that are being introduced by the AJGA.

Once these meetings were over, many of the juniors left for the day and we were able to complete many of the random tasks that were needed to prepare for the reception this evening. I spent my afternoon helping with various tasks in HQ and setting up display tables for prizes and pictures in the reception hall.

Overall, today was a great day and I can't wait to watch my groups actually play some golf tomorrow! Hopefully the rain stays away and we are able to get everything in...but for now, I am off to get some sleep! Night y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment